Retirement Countdown

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Another One Down

Another training week complete, although it was a short one. We did land navigation and convoy ops on Monday and Tuesday. Today was basically check out paperwork, etc. I can't believe that basically a month has passed, no problem only 7 or so to go, or 13 paydays! woohoo. Just got off the phone with Shayna and she is hanging in there, I told her that soon it will be her turn to do this "fun" stuff. Next we're off to our next training destination, I can't tell you when or where due to OPSEC (operational security) but once I'm there I'll hopefully have a reliable Internet connection so I can keep you informed. Overall the training has been very good and relevant, basically training for the worse case scenarios which we all hope and pray never happens. It all goes back to the training I completed with the Marines in Camp Lejeune in 2007, the Gunny made one simple statement, "We're training you for the worst, I'll tell you now if all that is left is a bunch of docs and nurses with weapons God help you because we're all dead!". That puts it into perspective. I spoke with an Army officer today at lunch and he stated that Farah is a really nice place to be stationed with good sleeping quarters, hospital, and chow, you can't beat that. I thought that I was getting the short end of the stick when I was first told that I was going to a FOB (forward operating base), but it turns out that the six of us going there actually hit the lottery. He stated that it is a very secure place in the middle of nowhere, the good part about that is that you can see any threats coming from miles away unlike Ramadi where we were in the middle of the city. It's a bitter sweet feeling when some of the friends that I've met have left for their destinations this morning, one that will happen again when we all leave for our final destinations. Well that's about it for now, I love and miss you very much Shayna, everyone else take care and I'll try my best to keep this updated. If nothing is posted for a couple of weeks, it just means that I'm in a tent in the desert doing some more training! Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment