Retirement Countdown

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Zip, zilch, nada, zero.......


That’s about how many days I have left! Woohoo! After 36 amputations, 21 craniotomies, 12 appendectomies, 46 external fixations, and a multitude of other surgeries, it’s finally time to call it quits. I was involved in a total of 369 surgical cases, 79 of which I scrubbed and first assisted in, not bragging but I am damn proud of that! I have gone through the whole gambit of emotions, sadness, happiness, anger, jealousy, etc. I didn’t experience depression which is a good thing! The “can’t waits” still apply from the last entry, just getting a little stronger now. The emotion that I’m feeling the most right now is HAPPINESS!! I’ll be home on 13 NOV at 2100!!!! I can’t explain how ready I am to have the wheels touch down on American soil.

The picture this week is another group shot. This one is unique because it contains people from Napal, Canada, Denmark, Holland and of course the USA. I'm going to miss these guys, it was a fantastic collection of professionals from around the globe! I’ll be doing another entry from our next stop with plenty of more pictures I’m sure. I’m going to keep this blog going every week even after the deployment to keep in touch with family and friends as our life evolves! Take care.

Happy birthday to my brother Dan! Thanks for all of your help with Shayna’s travel plans and listening to me talk to you about the crap that has been going on here. Take care and I’ll be seeing you next year in Florida.

Shayna is doing well and can’t wait to go to the movies with me and some other things, I can’t wait either gorgeous! When I get home I’m going to pick up the new SUV and start driving form California to Wisconsin. The 2-3 day drive will give me a chance to get all of the bad things from my memory before I see Shayna, family and friends again. After Wisconsin we’re going to head toward Cleveland and see family there, then on to Northern Kentucky to see family and friends. Hopefully we’ll be able to have a big get together somewhere in KY where we all can catch up and tell “sea stories”! To complete the trip, Shayna and I are driving back to Wisconsin to pick up our cat and then to Cali for the final stop, at least for 2 years. If Shayna gets in the Air Force or Army there will be many more stops until she retires in 12-13 years. Looking forward to the travel babe and being the military dependent for once! Haha.

Hours worked:
1 NOV 09: 11 Hours
3 NOV 09: 10 Hours (LAST DAY!!!!!!)

# CAUSES OF SURGERY AS OF 6 NOV 09
116 GSW
132 IED
8 SVBIED
19 SUICIDE BOMBER
13 ROCKET ATTACK
49 NBI
7 MINE
9 AIR STRIKE (SAME PATIENT 9 SURGERIES)
7 MVA
1 GRENADE INJURY

Shayna I love and miss you very much, and will be seeing you in a couple of weeks, can’t wait! Everyone else take care and I’ll be seeing some of you soon.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment