Retirement Countdown

Friday, April 10, 2009

Turtle Roll

What a week! All of our days have been 14+ hours, we did have one that was 12 hours and it felt short. We did a lot of courses, death by PowerPoint, and also did a lot of shooting, the M9 pistol and the M16 rifle. It's good that they are focusing their training on shooting techniques, you never know when you might have to be a "killer" as the Army calls us here. When we do go shooting we have to go in full "battle rattle" which means full gear, helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, body armor, ear plugs, ballistic glasses, and gloves. Which brings me to the title of this entry, Turtle Roll. We were walking in a patrol formation, two lines with about 5 meters between each person. I was watching the person in front of me and thinking, he better watch where he's going he's going to turn his ankle and then BAM! I went down like a sack of potatoes, turning my ankle while wearing 75 pounds of gear, not good. The person behind me said that the outside of my left ankle hit the ground and my foot turned inward. I looked like a turtle with the gear on, thank God that Sam came back to help me up, I might still be there if he didn't. haha. That happened Wednesday and it's swollen to about the size of a grapefruit with some bruising. I'm just taking Motrin every day and trying to keep it elevated at night. I just don't want to get it looked at and be placed back in training, should be okay. Tomorrow we are going shooting again, this time doing something called flexy-fire, you start in the down position and then bring the pistol up quickly and letting two shot loose, should be fun. After that I have a room at a hotel in town where I am immediately going to drop off my laundry, place my foot in a bucket of ice, watch movies and order room service. It's going to be the last time to spoil myself for a long while to come. Well that's about it for now, take care and Shayna I miss you and love you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment