Retirement Countdown

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Team DANUS



DANUS = Danish + US. A lot of the people in the group didn’t want me to use this name since it sounds a lot like anus, but I like it. Not the anus, the DANUS! We also had a normal serious picture taken and it can be found under the “picture gallery” tab. I volunteered to be the patient for the picture, with the understanding that no tubes were to be placed anywhere in me! Had some excitement this past week, I got to cut a leg off. I know it sounds weird to say, but it was really cool. I have pictures but I don’t want to post the really gross ones on here, I’ll let most of you see them when I come visit, that is if you want to see them. We also had a couple of guys come in with some minor injuries, but they had their security dog with them, he had to be taken to the vet with possible blown eardrums, poor dog. I’m sure he’ll do fine though. Shayna is doing well after her surgery, unfortunately our cat is being returned early so if any of you living close could drop by and help Shayna change the litter box once a week that would be great. It’s going to be kind of hard for her to carry the box while on crutches for the next 5 weeks or so! Thanks in advance!

I spoke with Shayna’s dad, Larry, on the phone and he said that the Legion in his area was interested in sending some stuff out to us. That’s great and thank you! If anyone else would like to send some things just use the address I included in the last article, it will come right to me. Anything from home would be great, use your imagination, I trust you……..well some of you! Haha.

I will added a video today, 25 JUN, at the bottom of this entry, just sound really, of what the rocket attack warning sounds like. The small video is actually the “all clear” announcement we hear after the rocket attack danger has passed. It’s really loud and annoying which is a good thing for us!
CASES FOR THE WEEK:

14 JUN: 1. Removal of bullet from neck. 2. Amputation left lower leg, washout right leg, washout right hand.

16 JUN: 1. Open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) of the maxilla (lefort I), basically we put 3 plates and screws in a patients face, around the right eye. 2. Appendectomy. Good day, no mass casualties!

18 JUN: Very long day, 18 hours at work, 15.5 hours actual surgery time. I’m getting paid overtime right? Haha. 1. Abdominal washout, wound vacuum placement. 2. Face washout, removal of foreign body, exam under anesthesia right eye. 3. Removal of K-wire, finger. 4. Dressing change, washout left leg. 5. Exploratory laparoscopy. 6. Washout and external fixation right hand, washout left hip. 7. Washout and removal of foreign body right leg. 8. Washout left arm, auto-venous graft from right leg to left arm, angiogram.

19 JUN: Called in for a case today, not fun especially after the long day yesterday! Washout of a gunshot wound to the right hip (head of femur).

20 JUN: 1. Washout left arm (previous graft patient). 2. Washout right hip/gluteus, antibiotic bead placement. 3. Incision and drainage neck wound, tracheotomy placement, left shoulder dressing change. 4. Tracheostomy placement. 5. Tracheostomy placement. 6. What a way to end the week, another 18.5 hour work day. We had a 9-liner (that’s how casualties are reported to us through a succinct 9 line message describing who they are, where they are coming from, their condition, etc) around 1900 or so. We had about a 2-3 hour break before coming in and working until 0130. Again the overtime question comes into play! Haha. We did two exfixes on the femurs, an exfix on the right ankle and also he had massive vascular injuries to both legs, near the groin, not good. He ended up having 60+ units of blood and he is still kicking as of this morning. Very strong guy. Unfortunately he is a coalition fighter, non-US, I hope he pulls through.

Well that brings our total surgeries to 60 since 16 May 09. Not too busy, not too slow, just right! Shayna I miss and love you very much, I think that you made the right decision. HAPPY FATHER’S DAY Dad, thanks for all that you have done for me and raising me to be what I am now. Happy Father’s Day to all of the other father’s out there! Everyone else take care and I’ll be writing more next week.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment